+-
A payloader pushes garbage at the Islip landfill (Credit: Newsday / Thomas R. Koeniges)

A payloader pushes garbage at the Islip landfill on Blydenburgh Road. (Dec. 3, 1990)

The Islip Municipal Sanitary Landfill, which covers about 55 acres, has been operated by the town since 1963. In 1978, 50 or more 55-gallon drums containing a mixture of tetrachloroethene and other liquids were allegedly disposed at the site. This is the only reported case of hazardous waste disposal on the property. The landfill stopped taking waste in December 1990. Source: EPA

Long Island federal Superfund sites

A look at some of Long Island's federal Superfund sites that currently remain on the EPA's National Priorities List, which is intended primarily to guide the agency in determining sites that need further investigation.

Sen. Ralph Marino, right, and David Peirez, attorney
Buy photo
(Credit: Newsday / Cliff De Bear)

Sen. Ralph Marino, right, and David Peirez, attorney for Shore Realty Corp., look over pipes and valves used in gathering hazardous waste materials at Applied Environmental Services on Shore Road in Glenwood Landing. The above-ground storage tank in the background holds 45,672 gallons of waste oil. Shore Realty purchased the property in 1983 and evicted Applied Environmental in January 1984. (Feb. 24, 1984)

From 1980 to 1983 at the four-acre site, Applied Environmental recovered fuels from hazardous wastes. The site had seven underground tanks and 11 above-ground tanks; spills and leaks caused soil and groundwater contamination. Before 1980, the site was operated by a petrochemical company; several spills happened during that company’s tenure on the property including an overturned tank trailer that spilled 3,000 gallons of the volatile organic compound toluene. Source: EPA

Pat, left, Michael, Robert and Michael Genzale stand
Buy photo
(Credit: Newsday / Daniel Goodrich)

Pat, left, Michael, Robert and Michael Genzale stand in the backyard of the Genzale Plating Co. in Franklin Square. (Nov. 8, 1989)

From 1915 to 2000, the plating company on New Hyde Park Road electroplated small products such as car antennas and ballpoint pen parts. The facility sent wastewater with heavy metals and organic contaminants into four leaching pits at the back of the property. Groundwater monitoring wells on and off the site showed the presence of chromium, cadmium and nickel; on-site wells also showed volatile organic compounds contamination. Source: EPA

A payloader pushes garbage at the Islip landfill
Buy photo
(Credit: Newsday / Thomas R. Koeniges)

A payloader pushes garbage at the Islip landfill on Blydenburgh Road. (Dec. 3, 1990)

The Islip Municipal Sanitary Landfill, which covers about 55 acres, has been operated by the town since 1963. In 1978, 50 or more 55-gallon drums containing a mixture of tetrachloroethene and other liquids were allegedly disposed at the site. This is the only reported case of hazardous waste disposal on the property. The landfill stopped taking waste in December 1990. Source: EPA

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISE HERE
Diane and Phillip Losurdo, of Farmingdale, peer over
Buy photo
(Credit: Newsday / David L. Pokress)

Diane and Phillip Losurdo, of Farmingdale, peer over the fence at the Liberty Industrial Finishing site, which the EPA declared a Superfund cleanup site. (Jan. 23, 1994)

The Liberty Industrial site, a 30-acre lot on Motor Avenue in Farmingdale, was used for manufacturing plane parts and associated metal-finishing activities during World War II and the Korean War. It was made into an industrial park in the late 1950s and used for operations such as metal plating and finishing and fiberglass product manufacturing. The property was then used for light manufacturing and warehousing from the 1980s on. Soil and groundwater are contaminated with heavy metals such as cadmium and chromium and volatile organic compounds such as dichloroethene, trichloroethene and tetrachloroethene. Source: EPA

A view of the Long Island Tungsten site
Buy photo
(Credit: Newsday / K. Wiles Stabile)

A view of the Long Island Tungsten site on Herb Hill Road in Glen Cove, which has been added to the federal Superfund list. (Dec. 4, 1992)

The Superfund site is made up of three parts — the former LI Tungsten facility, located on a 26-acre lot on Herb Hill Road; the Captain's Cove property, a 23-acre lot that is bordered by Hempstead Harbor to the west; and the Glen Cove Creek. The LI Tungsten facility's operations involved the processing of ore and scrap tungsten concentrates to metal tungsten powder and tungsten carbide powder. Other specialty metal products were also made there. The Captain's Cove property was used as a dump for a variety of wastes; radioactive materials were found in Glen Cove Creek in 2001. Source: EPA

A study is underway by the Town of
Buy photo
(Credit: Newsday / John Paraskevas)

A study is underway by the Town of Brookhaven to determine possible future uses for the former Lawrence Aviation site on Sheep Pasture Road in Port Jefferson Station. (Aug. 20, 2013)

Founded in 1959, Lawrence Aviation manufactured titanium sheeting for the aeronautics industry. Past disposal practices and the presence of leaking drums resulted in violations cited by both the Suffolk County Department of Health Services and the state Department of Environmental Conservation. In 1980, Lawrence Aviation smashed more than 1,600 drums, allowing their contents to spill on the ground. The drums contained trichloroethylene, tetrachloroethylene, hydrofluoric acid, nitric acids, waste sludges containing acid, salt wastes, hydraulic oils and other plant wastes. Source: EPA

The Stanton Cleaners area groundwater contamination site includes
(Credit: Google, 2012)

The Stanton Cleaners area groundwater contamination site includes an active dry cleaning business on Cutter Mill Road in Great Neck. Because of past disposal practices, tetrachloroethene or PCE, a volatile organic compound, migrated from the subsurface soils into the indoor air environments of affected buildings adjacent to the property and into the groundwater. Source: EPA

A flatbed truck at the Old Bethpage Landfill
Buy photo
(Credit: Newsday / Dick Yarwood)

A flatbed truck at the Old Bethpage Landfill is loaded with garbage for a trip to Pennsylvania. (May 12, 1986)

The Town of Oyster Bay began operations at the landfill, located on a 68-acre site above the Magothy Aquifer, in 1957; it remained active through 1986. It was first used for disposal of incinerator residue before the town opened it to garbage and trash in 1967. Liquid and solid industrial process wastes and damaged drums containing organic residues went into the landfill from 1968 until 1978. After 1978, metal hydroxide sludges became the only industrial waste dropped there. Groundwater in the area is contaminated with volatile organic compounds. Source: EPA

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISE HERE
Sherrel Henry, center, EPA's remedial project manager talks
Buy photo
(Credit: Newsday / Alejandra Villa)

Sherrel Henry, center, EPA's remedial project manager talks about the progress of the federal Superfund law, which was established to investigate and clean up the country's most hazardous waste sites. EPA regional administrator Judith A. Enck, second from left, and Rep. Carolyn McCarthy take a tour of the Old Roosevelt Field site in Garden City. (April 2, 2012)

Public supply wells were found to have tetrachloroethene and trichloroethene in water samples taken in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Since then, concentrations have increased. Roosevelt Field and its predecessors were used for aviation activities from 1911 until 1951. Source: EPA

Francis X. Ryan, left, Long Island director for
Buy photo
(Credit: Newsday / Cliff De Bear)

Francis X. Ryan, left, Long Island director for Gov. Mario Cuomo; Richard Kessel, representative for Cuomo; and Paul Roth of the Department of Environmental Conservation emerge from an area of the Town of North Hempstead landfill on West Shore Road in Port Washington. (Mar. 7, 1991)

The Port Washington Landfill, a 54-acre portion of a municipal landfill on a 139-acre lot, was used from the 1880s onward as a sand and gravel mining operation. In 1973, North Hempstead purchased the land and it was used as a landfill until 1983. Its use as a landfill created an off-site soil gas plume composed of methane and volatile organic compounds. A Southport water district well, about 1,500 feet away from the landfill, was closed in 1981 after evidence of organic chemical contamination was found. Source: EPA

Get the Newsday Now newsletter!

The best of Newsday every day in your inbox.

Comments

Newsday.com now uses Facebook for our comment boards. Please read our guidelines and connect your Facebook account to comment.