Students at an Islip elementary school were evacuated for a short time Wednesday morning after officials reported an odor in the building, a district spokeswoman said.
School officials reported the odor at Commack Road Elementary School around 9:20 a.m. to the Islip Fire Department.
Students were evacuated as a precautionary measure, said Islip School District spokeswoman Marissa Sanseverino, adding they have since been cleared to return to the building.
The district sent a notice to parents advising them of the evacuation.
"The fire department responded quickly and said there were no concerns," she said. Sanseverino said fire officials noted there had been a prior report of exhaust fumes north of Sunrise Highway.