Official: Manorville deck collapses during barbecue, 3 sent to hospital
A second-story deck collapsed Sunday afternoon at a Manorville house, sending three people to the hospital, authorities said.
The deck fell about 10 feet, and none of the injuries were considered serious, said Manorville Fire Department Chief Elio Zapparrata. One victim had minor burns from the grill. "Everyone had cuts and bruises," he said. The call came in at 4:24 p.m., he said.
Peter Katsanevas, 48, was grilling underneath the deck on his aunt and uncle's barbecue when he said he heard a crack. He stepped back, and then, he said, "the deck collapsed."
He said the barbecue was attended by seven adults and two kids, who were all standing on the deck.
The homeowners, identified by their nephew as Emily and Kostas Vatibelas, went to the hospital.
There was a pan of pasta and salad on the ground at the scene and the deck was completely ripped from the wall. A fire marshal was on the scene and a building inspector was expected.