A pool service worker was hurt Saturday when chlorine chemicals exploded in his face as he was mixing them, fire officials said.

The Dix Hills Fire Department was called to a home on Bayard Drive at 3:10 p.m. to help the 20-year-old man, who had chemical burns on his face and chest.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

The Dix Hills Rescue Squad took the man by ambulance to Commack Middle School, and he was transferred to a Suffolk County police helicopter and airlifted to Stony Brook University Hospital, officials said.

A police spokeswoman said the man’s injuries were not life threatening.