PSEG Long Island resolved an issue Wednesday with a Port Jefferson woman who was getting electrical shocks when she used her shower.

Elizabeth Tutino told News 12 Long Island she and her daughters had resorted to wearing rubberlike flip-flops and gloves to reduce the risk of being shocked in the shower.

The utility worked Tuesday night into Wednesday morning to fix the problem, said PSEG spokeswoman Elizabeth Flagler. Tutino told Newsday her electrician confirmed Wednesday that the unpredictable jolts were gone. He used a current testing device by putting a prong down the drain and another on the metal faucet -- it showed no current, unlike his last test, she said.

See alsoSee video from the home

Tutino's electrician told her the shocks were caused by problems with PSEG's underground wiring, according to News 12. The utility then installed a transformer, which Tutino said did not work.

Tutino said she first felt tingling sensations in the shower about a month ago when she touched metal. She didn't know they were electrical jolts until a week ago. She told News 12 she touched the middle handle on her shower control to turn on the water, then felt a shock so strong "I actually yelled."

Tutino said she was so worried that she contacted a lawyer, telling him, "If I die in the shower, my kids will call the ambulance and then call you."

advertisement | advertise on newsday

She said she complained to PSEG, which didn't take her seriously: "Nobody cared."

PSEG said in a statement it took Tutino's issue seriously and its crew "worked through the night to ensure that the problem isn't with our equipment."

Tutino said she won't make any more waves now that the utility has replaced all the wires under her home.

"I'm just happy it's over," she said. "I'm happy I can shower without gloves and flip-flops."