Search to resume in Gilgo bodies case

State and Suffolk police gather at staging area

State and Suffolk police gather at staging area along Robert Moses Causeway before continuing their search for evidence or remains in the Long Island serial killer case. (June 7, 2011) Photo Credit: Jim Staubitser

advertisement | advertise on newsday

The search for more remains and evidence in the Gilgo Beach serial killer case will resume Tuesday, officials said.

The latest canvass of spots on state land near the Robert Moses Causeway shoulder was prompted by high-resolution images taken from FBI aircraft in April.

Two search teams will visit about 10 "highly specific" areas defined by federal officials and located with GPS coordinates, Capt. David Candelaria of New York State Police said Monday.

A State Police canine unit will be joined by a Suffolk police dog team. A forensic anthropologist from the New York City medical examiner's office and members of the Suffolk police department's Gilgo homicide task force will also be on hand.

All the spots to be searched are in areas along Robert Moses Causeway north of Ocean Parkway that have been canvassed previously.

The operation is to begin at 9 a.m. and, barring discoveries, expected to be completed by noon. The right lane of the Robert Moses Causeway Bridge will be closed during the search. Captree State Park will be open and fully accessible, according to a state parks spokesman.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

A Suffolk police spokeswoman said data from the FBI flyover is still being analyzed, and it's unclear whether there will be future searches elsewhere.

In April, an unmarked FBI plane and Blackhawk helicopter flew over the area to make high-resolution images in a search for human remains. The aerial canvass was triggered by the discovery of eight sets of human remains in Suffolk and two in Nassau since December.

So far, officials have been able to identify only five of the 10 sets. The initial four skeletons found in Gilgo Beach in December -- all young women who worked as prostitutes -- are believed to be the victims of a serial killer.

The anniversary of the disappearance of one of those women -- Megan Waterman, 22, of Scarborough, Maine -- was Monday. Officials have not located Shannan Gilbert, 24, who was last seen in Oak Beach on May 1, 2010.

The best of Newsday every day in your inbox. Get the Newsday Now newsletter!

You also may be interested in: