Six rescued from Central Islip home with generator fumes

Six people overcome by carbon monoxide fumes were safely evacuated from a Central Islip home early Thursday, Suffolk County police said.

Third Precinct police officers Timothy Drake and Michael Cammarata responded to 460 St. John St. at 8:48 a.m. after a resident of the home called 911 and reported they felt dizzy, police said.

When the officers arrived they discovered an unconscious girl, one woman, two men and 5-year-old twin boys experiencing symptons related to carbon-monoxide poisoning, according to a news release.


PHOTOS: LI damage | Then and now | Aerial views
VIDEOS: Recovery still in progress | Desperate for buyout
DATA: Federal aid to victims | Storm damage | Infrastructure proposals | LI storm damage | How LI reps voted on Sandy funding
MORE: Year after Sandy interactive | Complete coverage


The six were taken to Southside Hospital in Bay Shore, and the two officers were treated and released from Southside, police said.

The Central Islip Fire Department and the Central Islip Hauppauge Ambulance Corp also responded and assisted the officers, police said.

A gasoline-powered generator was found in the basement of the home, but police spokeswoman could not say if the generator was running or if it was the source of the fumes.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Follow Newsday on social media

advertisement | advertise on newsday