Six rescued from Central Islip home with generator fumes
Third Precinct police officers Timothy Drake and Michael Cammarata responded to 460 St. John St. at 8:48 a.m. after a resident of the home called 911 and reported they felt dizzy, police said.
When the officers arrived they discovered an unconscious girl, one woman, two men and 5-year-old twin boys experiencing symptons related to carbon-monoxide poisoning, according to a news release.
PHOTOS: LI damage | Then and now | Aerial views
VIDEOS: Recovery still in progress | Desperate for buyout
DATABASES: Federal aid to victims | Infrastructure proposals
MORE: Year after Sandy interactive | Complete coverage
The six were taken to Southside Hospital in Bay Shore, and the two officers were treated and released from Southside, police said.
A gasoline-powered generator was found in the basement of the home, but police spokeswoman could not say if the generator was running or if it was the source of the fumes.