Kings Park Psychiatric Center: Then and now
Kings Park Psychiatric Center once was a bustling complex, housing a large spacious community of patients and staff. Visiting family members were a common presence, patients and their attendants gardened the grounds, and buildings were filled to capacity. It even had its own on-site fire station.
We revisited the complex in August 2012, and found the buildings long since abandoned, save for two, which still housed a facility for the mentally ill.
Mother Nature has forced a demolition of sorts on the buildings in the complex, and in late July 2012, New York State joined in, beginning an incremental demolition of 15 of the dilapidated structures.
During our visit, we painstakingly recreated a sampling of historical photos, preserving a look at KPPC as it was in its heyday compared to the way it stood just before demolition. -- By Julie Cappiello
More in Long Island
- LI car accidents Manhasset vs. Notre Dame (Md.)
- Horseless eCarriage at NY Auto Show New York City parties
- Tribeca Film Festival 101 new stores on LI
- LI people on the move! Promotions, new jobs Long Island and New York City's top photos
- Recent LI mug shots This week's Class AA baseball team rankings
- Long Island on 'The Ultimate Fighter' Buried on Long Island
- Suffolk Boys Basketball Awards Dinner Suffolks Wrestling Awards Dinner
- Nassau Wrestling Coaches Awards Dinner LI notable deaths
- Mourners pay respects to fallen NYPD officer Extreme Easter bonnets on Long Island, NYC
- Long Island rich cribs Way to Go kids
- Civilians learn police technique Coney Island rebuilds, reopens after 17 months
- Run or Dye 5K in Uniondale LI Easter egg hunts 2014