Kings Park Psychiatric Center: Then and now
Kings Park Psychiatric Center once was a bustling complex, housing a large spacious community of patients and staff. Visiting family members were a common presence, patients and their attendants gardened the grounds, and buildings were filled to capacity. It even had its own on-site fire station.
We revisited the complex in August 2012, and found the buildings long since abandoned, save for two, which still housed a facility for the mentally ill.
Mother Nature has forced a demolition of sorts on the buildings in the complex, and in late July 2012, New York State joined in, beginning an incremental demolition of 15 of the dilapidated structures.
During our visit, we painstakingly recreated a sampling of historical photos, preserving a look at KPPC as it was in its heyday compared to the way it stood just before demolition. -- By Julie Cappiello
More in Long Island
- LI notable deaths
- 27 LIers who've made us proud
- 10 sales to hit this weekend
- Guess who: LI celebrity yearbook pictures
- LI people on the move! Promotions, new jobs
- Long Island and New York City's top photos
- Ward Melville vs. West Islip
- Dropping LBs: LIers before and after weight-loss stories
- 79 celebrities remember life on Long Island
- LI car accidents
- Long Beach vs. Wantagh
- Recent LI fires
- LI notable deaths 27 LIers who've made us proud
- Guess who: LI celebrity yearbook pictures Who's ringing stock exchanges' bells?
- LI people on the move! Promotions, new jobs Long Island and New York City's top photos
- Ward Melville vs. West Islip Dropping LBs: LIers before and after weight-loss stories
- 79 celebrities remember life on Long Island LI car accidents
- Long Beach vs. Wantagh Recent LI fires
- Celeb spotting at Tribeca Film Fest This week's Class AA baseball team rankings
- 50 years ago, NY World's Fair predicted today LI Easter egg hunts 2014
- Animals on the loose on LI, in NY Long Island's best tattoos
- Way to Go kids Long Island rich cribs
- Places we loved on Long Island Extreme Easter bonnets on Long Island, NYC
- Smithtown East vs. Port Washington 41 signs you're from Suffolk