West Babylon building's high carbon monoxide level sends several to hospital, say officials

Several people were taken to Good Samaritan and

Several people were taken to Good Samaritan and Southside Hospitals after high Carbon Monoxide levels were found in a commercial building on Route 109 in West Babylon, Tuesday, May 6, 2014. (Credit: Paul Mazza)

Seven people from a commercial building on Route 109 in West Babylon were taken to the hospital yesterday after one woman was found to have high levels of carbon monoxide, said fire officials and a spokesman for the Town of Babylon.

Two of the seven, including the woman, were admitted but were not in life-threatening condition, said Kevin Bonner, Babylon town spokesman.

Shortly after 11:15 a.m. the woman, who had fallen, was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital, where it was found she had a high carbon monoxide level, said police.


PHOTOS: Babylon | Officials
DATA: Babylon's 2012 payroll
More: newsday.com/babylon | Sign up for community newsletters
On Twitter: @NewsdayTowns


Notified of that, the West Babylon Fire Department took readings in the building with a carbon monoxide meter, which led to the building evacuation, affecting about 30 people, said fire chief Peter McArdle. Six more people who complained of symptoms were taken to Good Samaritan and Southside hospitals, he said.

McArdle said the fire marshal determined that the odorless gas came from forklifts in use at a dry goods concern.

People were let back in the late afternoon, he said.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Follow Newsday on social media

advertisement | advertise on newsday