Woman, kids flee Dix Hills house fire

Firefighters battle a structure fire, which started while

Firefighters battle a structure fire, which started while the homeowner was cooking late afternoon Saturday, March 1, 2014 on Millett Drive North in Dix Hills. Photo Credit: Brian Thomas

advertisement | advertise on newsday

A woman and her three children fled a raging fire that destroyed their Dix Hills home yesterday afternoon.

The blaze started in the rear of the house at 128 Millet Street North shortly before 3 p.m., Dix Hills Fire Chief William J. Stio said.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

There were no injuries.

Stio called the home a "total loss." The cause hasn't been determined.

Homeowner Laura Messina said she was in the kitchen when the fire started.

"I was just cooking and it all went so fast," she said as she watched fire trucks hose down the smoldering ruins. "I just took my kids and ran."

advertisement | advertise on newsday

The 4,780-square-foot home was custom-built in 2007, with five bedrooms and 4 1/2 bathrooms, according to real estate website Zillow.com.

The best of Newsday every day in your inbox. Get the Newsday Now newsletter!


Newsday.com now uses Facebook for our comment boards. Please read our guidelines and connect your Facebook account to comment.

You also may be interested in:

More coverage

Firefighters on the scene of a car fire More LI fires