East Islip photos
East Islip is a hamlet in the Town of Islip. It is home to 14,475 residents.
Sign up for community newsletters.
Ruth C. Kinney Elementary School is named for the educator who dedicated 37 years to the East Islip School District from 1929-1966. (June 28, 2011)
Brookwood Park is a historical site in East Islip that was originally home to the Stellenwerf's Lake House Hotel from 1856-1894. From 1903-1941, it was the site of the Knapp and Thorne Estates until it became the Orphan Asylum of Brooklyn until 1965. (June 28, 2011)
St. Mary's Church was founded on July 1, 1898, and was originally attended by priests of Brooklyn. (June 28, 2011)
East Islip High School is home of the Redmen and provides students with more than two dozen clubs and sports teams. (June 28, 2011)
The East Islip Fire Department was founded on April 4, 1889, with eight residents of the community and was originally named Hook and Ladder Co. No. 2. The firehouse was completed in 1927 and the department has grown to four companies and a rescue squad. (June 28, 2011)
Islip Art Museum, in Brookwood Hall, displays contemporary art. It houses national and international art, provides five exhibitions a year and has year-round art classes. Shown is artwork by Christa Maiwald for the Flag Day exhibit. (June 28, 2011)
The Carriage House is a workspace of the Islip Art Museum where contemporary artists are assigned rooms to fill with large scale original pieces. (June 28, 2011)
The East Islip Public Library was opened in 1961 and is on East Main Street. It offers thousands of books, CDs, DVDs and an art gallery where the Juried Art Show has been held for 27 years. (June 28, 2011)
Heckscher State Park was bought by New York State with a donation from August Heckscher in the 19th century. Now, the 1,469-acre park offers hiking trails, a playground, playing fields and a beach. (June 28, 2011)