EAST PATCHOGUE - An East Patchogue firefighter battling a rare flesh-eating bacteria went home to his family today.
Ralph Lettieri was released after nearly two months at Nassau University Medical Center and having his leg amputated.
The 26-year-old firefighter was exposed to the bacteria after getting poison ivy on his leg and then going scuba diving.
Lettieri says his organs shut down and he also battled pneumonia.
After hearing about a New Jersey firefighter with a prosthetic leg, Lettieri is determined to fight fires again. He already has an appointment to get fitted for a prosthetic next week. For more on Lettieri's return from the hospital, click News 12 Extra on Optimum TV channel 612.
Hagerman firefighter battling flesh-eating bacteria
You also may be interested in:
More coveragePol, mayor clash over $2B downtown plan
Hempstead Town Councilwoman Dorothy Goosby and Hempstead Village Mayor Wayne Hall traded barbs this weekLong Beach to share services with schools
The Long Beach City Council has passed a pair of resolutions to merge city andFirefighters: Pols working to eliminate dept.