Historic photos of Riverhead
Riverhead town was created in 1792 as part of developing new jurisdictions after the American Revolution. Its name signifies that the mouth of the Peconic River is in the town.
A view of the riverfront in Riverhead in the 1800s. (Handout)
The duck farming industry during the 20th century was an important part of Suffolk County's agricultural economy. Duck farms could be found in the towns of Riverhead, Brookhaven and Southampton.
The Big Duck building, constructed in 1930, was built by duck farmer Martin Maurer in Riverhead to be used as a shop to sell ducks and eggs. In 2008, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places and is located in Flanders.
Riverhead has been one of the largest agricultural areas on Long Island. Long Island Cauliflower Inc. has been a staple in the community.
A man steps out of the Riverhead Savings Bank on West Main Street, which was built in 1892.
Main Street in Riverhead.
Main Street in Riverhead bustled with activity in the late 1800s.
Older houses on Main Street in Riverhead in the early 1900s.
People line the streets in Riverhead to celebrate the United States Bi-Centennial in 1976. From the left, former Riverhead Town Supervisors Allen M. Smith, Robert Vovjoda, John Leonard and Bruno Zaloga pass by in a car.
After the Riverhead Fire Company organized in 1836, it paid $250 for this Red Jacket hydraulic pressure engine, nicknamed "the coffee grinder."
The circus came to Riverhead with horse-drawn wagons. This photo was taken in 1917. The buildings still standing are the Star Confectionery on the corner of Roanoke Avenue and Main Street and the bank.
The Peconic Avenue Traffic Circle in Riverhead used to look like this in the late 1800s.
Etheyle Parry, left, and her sister Juanita grew up in Riverhead, but ran away as teenagers to ride horses and perform rope tricks with Buffalo Bill in the early 1900s.
The Suffolk County Supreme Court is located in Riverhead. This is an older picture of county buildings and the jail.
East Main Street and Roanoke Avenue in Riverhead.
Riverhead's Main Street facing west. During the 1930s, every street had different parking regulations.
The Riverhead Fire Company organized in 1836.