+-
Etheyle Parry, left, and her sister Juanita grew (Credit: Handout)

Etheyle Parry, left, and her sister Juanita grew up in Riverhead, but ran away as teenagers to ride horses and perform rope tricks with Buffalo Bill in the early 1900s.

Historic photos of Riverhead

Riverhead town was created in 1792 as part of developing new jurisdictions after the American Revolution. Its name signifies that the mouth of the Peconic River is in the town.

A view of the riverfront in Riverhead in
(Credit: Handout)

A view of the riverfront in Riverhead in the 1800s. (Handout)

The duck farming industry during the 20th century
(Credit: Handout)

The duck farming industry during the 20th century was an important part of Suffolk County's agricultural economy. Duck farms could be found in the towns of Riverhead, Brookhaven and Southampton.

The Big Duck building, constructed in 1930, was
(Credit: Handout)

The Big Duck building, constructed in 1930, was built by duck farmer Martin Maurer in Riverhead to be used as a shop to sell ducks and eggs. In 2008, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places and is located in Flanders.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISE HERE
Riverhead has been one of the largest agricultural
(Credit: Handout)

Riverhead has been one of the largest agricultural areas on Long Island. Long Island Cauliflower Inc. has been a staple in the community.

A man steps out of the Riverhead Savings
(Credit: Handout)

A man steps out of the Riverhead Savings Bank on West Main Street, which was built in 1892.

Main Street in Riverhead.
(Credit: Handout)

Main Street in Riverhead.

Main Street in Riverhead bustled with activity in
(Credit: Handout)

Main Street in Riverhead bustled with activity in the late 1800s.

Older houses on Main Street in Riverhead in
(Credit: Handout)

Older houses on Main Street in Riverhead in the early 1900s.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISE HERE
People line the streets in Riverhead to celebrate
(Credit: Handout)

People line the streets in Riverhead to celebrate the United States Bi-Centennial in 1976. From the left, former Riverhead Town Supervisors Allen M. Smith, Robert Vovjoda, John Leonard and Bruno Zaloga pass by in a car.

After the Riverhead Fire Company organized in 1836,
(Credit: Handout)

After the Riverhead Fire Company organized in 1836, it paid $250 for this Red Jacket hydraulic pressure engine, nicknamed "the coffee grinder."

The circus came to Riverhead with horse-drawn wagons.
(Credit: Handout)

The circus came to Riverhead with horse-drawn wagons. This photo was taken in 1917. The buildings still standing are the Star Confectionery on the corner of Roanoke Avenue and Main Street and the bank.

The Peconic Avenue Traffic Circle in Riverhead used
(Credit: Handout)

The Peconic Avenue Traffic Circle in Riverhead used to look like this in the late 1800s.

Etheyle Parry, left, and her sister Juanita grew
(Credit: Handout)

Etheyle Parry, left, and her sister Juanita grew up in Riverhead, but ran away as teenagers to ride horses and perform rope tricks with Buffalo Bill in the early 1900s.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISE HERE
The Suffolk County Supreme Court is located in
(Credit: Handout)

The Suffolk County Supreme Court is located in Riverhead. This is an older picture of county buildings and the jail.

East Main Street and Roanoke Avenue in Riverhead.
(Credit: Handout)

East Main Street and Roanoke Avenue in Riverhead.

Riverhead's Main Street facing west. During the 1930s,
(Credit: Handout)

Riverhead's Main Street facing west. During the 1930s, every street had different parking regulations.

The Riverhead Fire Company organized in 1836.
(Credit: Handout)

The Riverhead Fire Company organized in 1836.

The best of Newsday every day in your inbox. Get the Newsday Now newsletter!

Comments

Newsday.com now uses Facebook for our comment boards. Please read our guidelines and connect your Facebook account to comment.