Historic photos of Valley Stream
Valley Stream is a village established in 1843 and incorporated in 1925 in southwest Nassau County.
In the early 1900s, Sagamore Hotel was located on the corner of Rockaway and Hawthorne avenues in Valley Stream, but was later converted into a post office.
Before the Civil War, horses were the chief means of transportation and mainstay of agriculture. Joseph Golder had a blacksmith shop at Merrick Road, west of Central Avenue. Farmers from miles away brought their horses to him.
In the early 1900s, Atun Brun's Hotel, on Rockaway Avenue in Valley Stream, was one of several hotels providing lodging..
In the early 1900s, Landgrebe's Hotel was on the corner of Rockaway and Hawthorne avenues in Valley Stream.
In the early 1900s, at age 16, Arthur J. Hendrickson, Valley Stream's third mayor, worked for his father, a road builder and contractor.
The first telephone in Valley Stream was installed in 1896 in Joseph Felton's Grocery and Seed Store at Central Avenue and Merrick Road.
Inside Finkenstadt's Grocery Store, where shelves stocked with dry goods and provisions, typical of stores in Valley Stream at the turn of the century.
Valley Stream's first post office was in Muller's Drug Store on Merrick Road. "Doc" Muller was the postmaster. It later became an early Village Hall.
Finkenstadt's Grocery Store was located on Rockaway Avenue in Valley Stream.