Upload Photo
The Whitman-Place House was built in 1810 by
Caption / Share

The Whitman-Place House was built in 1810 by Tredwell Whitman on property he inherited from his grandfather, Nehemiah Whitman. The barn on the 5 1/2-acre property, built in 1692, was originally the home of John Whitman, Nehemiah's father and the son of Joseph Whitman, the first member of the Whitman family to settle in West Hills.(Credit: Marlo Jappen)

1 of 150

Share this photo

LI sites on the National Register of Historic Places

The National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate and protect America's historic and archaeological resources. There are nearly 400 Long Island sites on the registry. Newsday is assembling photos and information of each.