LI sites on the National Register of Historic Places
The National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate and protect America's historic and archaeological resources. There are nearly 400 Long Island sites on the registry.
Known as the "Old House," the Joshua Wells House was constructed in 1680 by the son of one of Southold's original 13 settlers and Cutchogue's first landholder. Updated only in 1815, the house is one of Cutchogue's oldest examples of colonial architecture. (2001)
Built in 1840, the Dowden Tannery is the earliest surviving example of industrial architecture in Huntington. It is also the only surviving building associated with Huntington's once-booming tanning industry. The road that it sits on, Rogue's Path, was named so because it was a hiding place for robbers and bandits, who would hide in the brush and rob travelers. (1984)
Built on the outskirts of Cutchogue's Village Center, the David Tuthill Farmstead was constructed in 1798. The building recalls an 18th century settlement of Long Island, as well as the subsequent agrarian development of Cutchogue.
Built in 1895, the Carll Burr Jr. House in Commack is an example of 19th century eclectic architecture. The house incorporates various popular design styles. Burr was a member of a prominent horse-training family and served as both a state senator and assemblyman. (1984)
Built between 1897 and 1932, the Briar Patch Road Historic District served as an important space for the East Hampton art community in the early 20th century. The natural beauty of the unpopulated area lent itself to landscape painting and served as home to artists, including notable painter Edward Simmons.
Woodcrest in Nissequogue was owned by Homer W. Reboul, a wealthy New Yorker who was attracted to Stony Brook Harbor's beautiful landscape and its untouched land protected by the harbor. The property is part of the original tract of land at the founding of Smithtown.
Now the Nissequogue Golf Club, the 1930 William J. Ryan Estate initially featured a different game. Ryan, an avid polo player, kept and maintained a polo field on his estate.
Rassapeague was built by Thomas S. Seabury in 1865 and farmed by him until he sold it in 1879. The property was eventually acquired by couple Susan Butler and Francis Huntington in 1906. Butler's brother Lawrence, an architect, redesigned the estate in 1915 to give it a more leisurely feel by repositioning the home for a better view of Stony Brook Harbor, now St. James Harbor.
Land of Clover was the summer home for Lathrop Brown, a real estate seller and local politician, from 1912 to 1918. The estate is known as one of the crowning structures in the recreational development period of Long Island, when homes of the rich began sprouting up around its coasts. Brown's brother Archibald, an architect, designed the estate.
Harbor House, better known as the George C. Case Estate, was built in 1910. Information on Case, the estate's owner, is sparse, but the structure is known as one of first projects of architecture firm Ford, Butler and Oliver. The firm had close ties to Stony Brook Harbor (now St. James Harbor) and continued building structures through the 1920s. Like most of the firm's other buildings, Harbor House is still standing today on its 22-acre parcel.
Saint Thomas' Chapel, an Episcopal chapel located at Main Street and Indian Wells Plain Highway in Amagansett in the Town of East Hampton, was built in 1907 as a summer-use chapel without heat or plumbing. (May 17, 2013)
The Cherry Grove Community House and Theater on Fire Island has joined almost 400 other Nassau and Suffolk sites on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 11, 2010)
The North Main Street Historic District in East Hampton, added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988, includes 12 residential properties, a church, cemetery and windmill. (May 17, 2013)
The East Hampton Village Historic District runs along Main Street, Newtown Lane and Southwest along Ocean and Lee Avenues. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974, and its boundaries increased in 1988. (May 17, 2013)
The Pantigo Road Historic District, which runs along Montauk Highway from the intersection of Accabonac Road and Egypt Lane in East Hampton, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. The Thomas Moran House, also a National Historic Landmark, is included in the district. The district includes 43 rural buildings of Colonial, Federal, Queen Anne style that were built between 1715 and 1920. (May 17, 2013)
The East Hampton Long Island Rail Road station, located at Railroad Avenue between Newtown and Race lanes in East Hampton, was built in 1895. The station house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2000. (May 17, 2013)
The Jones Road Historic District runs between Jones Road and Apaquogue Road in East Hampton. The district, which was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988, includes a rural enclave of residences built between 1750 and 1921. (May 17, 2013)
The Egypt Lane Historic District in East Hampton, added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988, includes dwellings in the Colonial Revival, Federal and Saltbox styles. (May 17, 2013)
The Thomas Dodge Homestead, located at 58 Harbor Rd. in Port Washington, was built around 1721 and is believed to be the oldest extant house in the area. (May 3, 2013)
Monfort Cemetery, located on a hill east of the Main Street and Port Washington Boulevard intersection in Port Washington, dates back to the early 18th century. (May 3, 2013)
The Sands-Willets House, home to the Cow Neck Peninsula Historical Society, is located at 336 Port Washington Blvd. in Port Washington. (April 16, 2013)
The Pauline Felix House located at 151 West Penn St. in Long Beach during the period in which plans were in the works to make the city a seaside resort community. (April 1, 2013)
The Long Beach U.S. Post Office is located at 101 East Park Ave. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (March 28, 2013)
The Samuel Vaisberg House, located at 257 West Olive St. in Long Beach, was built in 1927. Vaisberg, originally from Brooklyn, made a fortune in real estate and investments. The house stayed in the Vaisberg family until 1992. (March 28, 2013)
The Jericho Friends' Meeting House complex was built by Quakers, members of the Religious Society of Friends, and has been little altered since its construction. The meeting house was built in 1788. The complex represents New England building traditions of the late 18th century and Quaker ideals of simplicity.
The circa 1766 Joseph Lloyd Manor House is part of the original Manor of Queens Village, established in 1685 under a royal patent granted to the Lloyd family by James II. James Lloyd was the first lord of the manor. His grandson, Joseph, built this house on land he inherited from his father, Henry. The Joseph Lloyd house was likely occupied by British officers during the Revolutionary War.
The Thompson House, now a museum, is one of the oldest dwellings in Setauket. It remained in the Thompson family until 1887. Is was likely built by Samuel Thompson, the youngest son of John Thompson, one of the original 55 settlers of Setauket, at the time of his marriage in 1709.
The circa 1850 John P. Kane Mansion, known as High Lindens, is the oldest dwelling in the village of Huntington Bay and is an example of mid-19th century Italianate style.
The Freeport U.S. Post Office was part of federal architecture erected during the Great Depression and an example of Colonial Revival style.
The 1878 Adam-Derby House in Oyster Bay is an example of American Queen Anne style. Ethel Roosevelt Derby, President Theodore Roosevelt's daughter, lived in the house from 1914 until her death in 1977. The house is the least-altered of all Roosevelt summer homes in Oyster Bay and was part of the original first purchase of Oyster Bay. The house was originally completed for Mrs. S.S. Adam of Oyster Bay.
The Sea Cliff Fire Department, which now has 100 volunteer members, has been in use since 1884.
The Modern Times School is an octagonal one-room building built in 1857. It was moved from the current Brentwood Library property to Brentwood High School on Third Avenue in 1989 and has fallen into disrepair. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (Aug. 3, 2011)
Built in 1813, the Wainscott Windmill it is one of the few remaining early windmills on Long Island. It still contains major internal machinery. (2008)
The Gardiner Windmill stands in East Hampton, as seen from the Gardiner graveyard. It was constructed in 1804.
After years of campaigning and renovation, the exterior of the historic Davis House in Coram has been restored. Once the seat of government for the Town of Brookhaven, the Davis House was built in the 1750s and hosted the government's annual meetings from 1790 to 1884. (Sept. 30, 2012)
The Pagan-Fletcher Restoration, at 143 Hendrickson Ave. in Valley Stream, was built in the 1840s and refurbished between 1900 and 1916. It is the only surviving mid-19th century structure in the village and was home to the Robert Pagan and his family, the area's first permanent settlers. The house was also the site of the village's first post office. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (Oct. 11, 2012)
Renovation takes place on May 10, 2012 in the Suffolk Theater in Riverhead. The theater part of the Riverhead Main Street Historic District on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Roslyn House, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is a two-story building that once served as a hotel but is now home to the offices of two law firms. It is on the corner of Lincoln Avenue and Roslyn Road in Roslyn Heights. (Aug. 7, 2012)
The Mudge Farmhouse was built in 1740 and moved from on what is now Post Drive in 1868 to become part of an estate and then again in 1920 to 535 Motts Cove Rd. South to become a small estate. It is believed to be the oldest house in Roslyn Harbor, according to its National Register of Historic Places application. (Aug. 7, 2012)
The Clifton mansion is a Flemish Revival residence first built in 1863 as a cottage and expanded twice between 1876 and 1932. It was designed by architect Frederick S. Copley, who designed many neighboring homes, at the request of Ann Eliza Cairns, owner of the surrounding houses and property. The house overlooks Hempstead Harbor at 355 Bryant Ave. in Roslyn Harbor. (Aug. 7, 2012)
The Clapham-Stern House, a site listed on the National Register of Historical Places as of 2005, is located at 48 Glenwood Rd. in Roslyn Harbor. Originally referred to as the Stone House, the mansion was constructed between 1868-1872 by boat builder Thomas Clapham. Retail magnate Benjamin Stern bought the property around 1906. In 1943, it was bought by Wendell Hughes, who renamed the estate Wenlo. After a fire in 1960, Hughes returned the house go the High Victorian style and its original footprint. (Aug. 7, 2012)
This late Victorian home at 199 Prospect Ave. in Sea Cliff was built in 1890 for Anne and Eugene Rock. It later became a boarding house and is now on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)
This Queen Ann house at 92 Main Ave. in Sea Cliff, was built by Charles Edwards in 1895. It was later owned by Coles Carpenter and then later by Lillian Pearsall. The house is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)
The house, at 115 Central Ave. in Sea Cliff, is called "The Wood Shed." Built in 1890, tThe home was designed by Oliver Combs for John Wood, who used it as a boarding house until 1915. It is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)
137 Prospect Ave. in Sea Cliff, was built in 1877 as a summer home for Keziah Case. The house is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)
This Queen Anne Victorian, at 19 Locust Pl. in Sea Cliff, was built in 1893 for J.T. Pirie, of Carson Pirie Scott Department Stores in Chicago. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)
173 16th Ave. in Sea Cliff was built in 1880 and represents the area's architectural character as it was growing as a popular summer resort community. It has a view of Hempstead Harbor. The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)
Hoe Cottage, at 332 Franklin Ave. in Sea Cliff, was built in 1888 for Robert Hoe, a printing press manufacturer and one of the founders of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The house was at one point by Brooklyn Hospital as a children's convalescent hospital. The house is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)
The Stoutenberg House, at 195 Prospect Ave. in Sea Cliff, was built in 1890 and originally owned by Long Island historian Edith Stoutenberg. The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)