BloggersDavid Reich-Hale Denise M. Bonilla Sophia Chang Tara Conry Carl Corry Erin Geismar Scott Eidler Mackenzie Issler Carl MacGowan Deborah S. Morris Ted Phillips Candice Ruud Nicholas Spangler Joshua Stewart
Corps seeks input on Long Beach dune project
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is soliciting public comments on documents related to its plan to protect Long Beach from future storms with protective dunes.
The corps announced last week that its $178 million plan would protect Long Beach with nearly 5 million cubic yards of sand and at least 22 new or rehabilitated groins. Work could start as early as this fall, federal officials said Thursday.
The project’s draft environmental assessment and draft statement of conformity are posted online. The public comment period is open until March 21, the corps said in a statement.
PHOTOS: LI damage | Then and now | Aerial views
VIDEOS: Recovery still in progress | Desperate for buyout
DATA: Federal aid to victims | Storm damage | Infrastructure proposals | LI storm damage | How LI reps voted on Sandy funding
MORE: Year after Sandy interactive | Complete coverage
Public comments “will assist in the agency’s evaluation of the project changes and will be reflected in the project record,” the corps said.
Documents related to the project are available online at www.nan.usace.army.mil/LongBeach.
Comments can be submitted to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, New York District Planning Division-Environmental Branch (ATTN: Mr. Robert Smith), 26 Federal Plaza, New York, New York 10278-0090. They can also be submitted by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.