BloggersAisha Al-Muslim Bill Bleyer David Reich-Hale Denise M. Bonilla Sophia Chang Tara Conry Carl Corry Erin Geismar Scott Eidler Mackenzie Issler Carl MacGowan Deborah S. Morris Ted Phillips Candice Ruud Nicholas Spangler Joshua Stewart Brittany Wait
Hempstead Town building department to aid Sandy victims
Hempstead Town’s building department staff members will be setting up 12 temporary locations to assist residents seeking to rebuild homes damaged by superstorm Sandy.
The mobile office provides permit applications and an opportunity to meet with plan examiners. The services will be offered from noon to 6 p.m. on the following days:
* Today, Merrick Road Park, 2550 Clubhouse Rd.; Town Park Point Lookout, Lido Boulevard.
* Saturday, Seaman’s Neck Park, 2700 S. Seaman’s Neck Rd., Seaford; Oceanside Park, 3800 Mahlon Brower Dr., Oceanside.
PHOTOS: LI damage | Then and now | Aerial views
VIDEOS: Recovery still in progress | Desperate for buyout
DATA: Federal aid to victims | Storm damage | Infrastructure proposals | LI storm damage | How LI reps voted on Sandy funding
MORE: Year after Sandy interactive | Complete coverage
* May 2, Rock Hall Museum, 199 Broadway, Lawrence; Hewlett Point Park, 130 Hewlett Point Ave., Bay Park.
* May 4, Terrace Gardens Park, Carvel Place and Sheridan Blvd., Inwood; Shell Creek Park, Vanderbilt Ave. and Traymore Blvd., Island Park.
* May 9, Wantagh Park, 1 King Rd., Wantagh; Baldwin Park, 3232 S. Grand Ave.,
* May 11, Newbridge Road Park, 2600 Newbridge Rd., Bellmore; North Woodmere Park, 750 Hungry Harbor Rd., Valley Stream.
The building department is waiving all permit fees until June 1 for storm-related structural repairs and temporary housing trailers for residents of unincorporated areas. All permit fees also have been waived for temporary housing trailers and storage pods during construction.
The town also is waiving building variance requirements for town residents who want to rebuild homes at higher elevations to meet FEMA flood standards. Permit fees can be as high as $2,500.
For more information, call the building department’s Sandy Helpline at 516-801-5642.