BloggersAisha Al-Muslim Jennifer Barrios Bill Bleyer David Reich-Hale Denise M. Bonilla Sophia Chang Tara Conry Carl Corry Erin Geismar Scott Eidler Mitch Freedman Mackenzie Issler Carl MacGowan Deborah S. Morris Ted Phillips Candice Ruud David Schwartz Nicholas Spangler Joshua Stewart Brittany Wait Patrick Whittle
Nassau to provide help to taxpayers
Nassau County’s Department of Assessment will present a taxpayer assistance outreach program in several communities in the Town of Hempstead.
Equipped with computers linked to the county’s database, department staff will process property tax exemption applications on-site for senior citizens, people on disability, veterans, volunteer firefighters and emergency medical technicians.
The staff also will review home improvement exemptions, the Basic School Tax Relief — for residents who own a home, condominium or cooperative apartment with an annual household income of less than $500,000 — and Enhanced STAR, for senior citizens 65 or older with annual incomes of less than $79,050.
Taxpayers can pick up or drop off their applications. Exemption specialists will provide assistance and answer questions.
The program will be offered from 1 to 3 p.m. on:
* July 12, Freeport Memorial Library, 144 W. Merrick Rd.
* July 19, Oceanside Public Library, 30 Davison Ave.
* July 26, Baldwin Public Library, 2385 Grand Ave.
* Aug. 1, Bellmore Memorial Library, 2288 Bedford Ave.
* Aug. 7, Hillside Public Library, 155 Lakeville Rd., New Hyde Park.
* Aug. 9, Legion Post 1132, 2301 Penatiquit Ave., Seaford.
For more information, contact the Department of Assessment Exemptions Division at 516-571-1500 or visit www.mynassauproperty.com.