Long Island's endangered historic places
These seven properties are on the Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities' third Endangered Historic Places List, a project the organization began in 2010.
Built in the mid-18th century in Southampton for a ship captain, the Henry Rhodes House, at 22 Windmilll Lane, is one of only a handful of pre-Revolutionary War dwellings remaining in the village. It's been vacant and neglected since the 1980s.
The interior of the Henry Rhodes House was largely preserved despite significant alterations to the exterior.
The Meadow Brook Bank building was built in 1929 on Sunrise Highway in Freeport. It's facade features Mayan reliefs.
A photo from the 1940s shows the Meadow Brook Bank Building. Empty since the 1980s, the building was once the tallest east of Jamaica.
The St. Ignatius Jesuit Retreat House, at Inisfada on Searingtown Road in Manhasset, was originally part of the Nicholas and Genevieve Brady estate. (June 10, 2011)
The estate was developed between 1916 and 1920 in North Hills and was donated to the Society of Jesus in 1937. (June 10, 2011)
A detail of the hand-carved, wooden Stations of the Cross is displayed in the small upstairs chapel at the St. Ignatius Retreat House, run by Jesuits in Manhasset. (July 3, 2011)
One of the rooms in the St. Ignatius Jesuit Retreat House in Manhasset is pictured. There is no landmark protection for the main house.
The Oyster Bay Railroad Museum is trying to restore the Oyster Bay train station, which is listed on the National Register of Historic places, but the project has stalled due to a lack of funding and support.
The Old Cedar Swamp District, located on Old Cedar Swamp Road in Jericho, is lined with late 18th- to 19th-century buildings.
The Old Cedar Swamp District is threatened by the proposed demolition of two buildings to make way for an assisted-living facility.
The Sacred Heart Church and Rectory was built in 1878 at 2700 Main Rd. in Cutchogue. It is now in poor condition and not protected by a landmark designation.
The La Grange Inn in West Islip was built in 1750 and has undergone several expansions. CVS wants to build a drug store on the site, while demolishing the additions and moving and restoring the original building.
The plan for La Grange Inn is controversial because preservationists believe the Inn's original structure would not survive the move.