Looking back at Orient's history
Orient is located at the tip of the North Fork in the Town of Southold. It was originally named Poquatuck after the local native American tribe, and later Oysterponds.
A view of Village Lane, then called Main Street, in Orient, in 1910.
A view of Village Lane, then called Main Street, including the post office, in 1937.
Village House, originally built by Augustus Griffin in 1798, is photographed in the early 1900s.
A view of Orient Wharf as taken from a ferry circa 1900.
In aerial view of Orient circa 1930.
A postcard of a crop of potatoes getting ready to be shipped out of Orient.
Mount Pleasant House, a popular boarding house in Orient circa 1880.
An aerial view of Orient circa 1930.
Ladies play croquet on the lawn of the Village House circa 1900.
Farmers pose for a photo in the early 1900s.
A boy does farm work on an Orient farm circa 1920.
The Montauk, a ferry on the Montauk Steamboat Line, pulls into the dock at Orient Point in 1906.
Boats dock at the Orient Wharf.