Drag the sliders on the images below to see how the Village of Patchogue has developed over the years.
New Village rising
The $100 million New Village project, which is projected to include 291 apartments, 17,000 square feet of office space and 46,000 square feet of stores on Main Street, will feature a five-story tower -- a replica of the Swezey’s Department Store spire that once rose from the same Four Corners spot before it was destroyed by a fire in 1946. This is a view looking north on South Ocean Avenue toward Main Street.
Photo credit: Undated historical image / John Paraskevas (March 23, 2014)
Patchogue Theatre for the Performing Arts
The Patchogue Theatre for the Performing Arts has played a major role in the revitalization of downtown Patchogue. The village-owned theater opened in 1998 following a $3.35 million renovation of the old Patchogue Theater, which closed a decade earlier. The renovation brought the back the splendor of the site’s first theater, which opened in 1923 and hosted first-run movies and vaudeville shows. The current theater attracts about 150,000 a year to live shows and concerts and feeds business to local shops and restaurants, officials say.
Photo credit: Thomas R. Koeniges/John Paraskevas (June 1, 1989 and Feb. 17, 2014)
Havens Avenue and Main Street
Part of the New Village project extends west of Havens Avenue, taking up lots once occupied by a delicatessen, a bowling alley and the Duffel Bag store.
Photo credit: George Argeroplos/John Paraskevas (Sept. 8, 1983 and April 8, 2014)
Part of the New Village project now sits on the site of the former Patchogue Library on Lake Street. The Carnegie Library building, a neoclassical structure built in 1908 with funds from steel magnate Andrew Carnegie, has been moved to the former parking lot of the Sixth District Court building on West Main Street.
Photo credit: Cliff De Bear/John Paraskevas (Feb. 17, 1981 and April 1, 2014)
Sixth District Court and Carnegie Library
Boarded up buildings along West Main Street have been torn down and replaced with the Sixth District Court building. The Carnegie Library was moved to the court’s parking lot from Lake Street to make room for the New Village project. The library, empty since 1998, is set to be restored and become a youth center, with tutoring, research and after-school programs.
Photo credit: David Pokress / John Paraskevas (Aug. 18, 1982 and April 8, 2014)
Patchogue's sprawling lace mill, shown in this vintage photograph, became a Swezey’s department store before the retailer went out of business. Today, the property is home to a Briarcliffe College campus.
Photo credit: Undated historical image / John Paraskevas (Feb. 24, 2014)
William J. O'Neill's
The northeast corner of North Ocean Avenue and Main Street on Patchogue's famous Four Corners is shown in this vintage photograph from the early 1900s. The structure on the corner was eventually replaced with a newer building currently occupied by William J. O'Neill's Sales Exchange. The soon-to-be-completed New Village project is on the northwest corner of the street.
Photo credit: Courtesy Phil Trypuc/John Paraskevas (Undated and Feb. 25, 2014)
Beehive / Burlington Coat Factory
Many buildings in downtown Patchogue have been revived or changed hands over the years, including East Main Street’s iconic Beehive store, which is now a Burlington Coat Factory.
Photo credit: File photo / John Paraskevas (May 24, 1960 and Feb. 24, 2014)
A view of the eastern shore of the Patchogue River near Argyle Lane.
Photo credit: Mike Dombroksi/John Paraskevas (Nov. 5, 1981 and April 8, 2014)