Shark Attack party moving to Star Island

advertisement | advertise on newsday

The Shark Attack Sounds Fourth of July weekend party in Montauk -- closed by East Hampton Town last year when thousands showed up for an event planned for 800 -- has moved to Star Island, and a fleet of buses will move people from a local ranch to cut down on traffic.

The town board voted last week to approve a permit for the July 5 event for 3,900 people, but not before cutting the music off at 11 p.m. and debating how much time board members had to review the application.

The party will run from 6 p.m. to 2 a.m., and sponsors say they will make an unspecified donation to Montauk Playhouse.

Parking will be at Rita's Stables on West Lake Drive. Last year, the town closed down the party at Rick's Cowboy Cafe on East Lake Drive around midnight because of the crowd's size.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Town code requires a special event permit to be filed at least 30 days before the event, and Supervisor Bill Wilkinson said that was done properly. In addition, he said the proposed event had been reviewed by every appropriate town agency, and the town police chief said the traffic control plan was one of the best he has seen.

Still, Councilwoman Sylvia Overby complained she did not get notice of the application in time to do a proper review.

Councilman Peter Van Scoyoc said that, even though the application might meet requirements, a town board review is appropriate because "we set policy."

Wilkinson said the board regularly approves permits for larger events -- the Montauk St. Patrick's Day parade draws some 40,000 people in good weather -- but Councilman Dominick Stanzione said a new policy should require people seeking permits for very large events to apply at least 60 days before time.

You also may be interested in: