Tiny Town, also known as Campgrounds, arose from Methodist summer revival camp meetings held by the Long Island Camp Meeting Association.
A sign at the corner of Fletcher and Peck avenues in North Merrick marks the location of Methodist camp meetings that were held in what is now known as Campgrounds or Tiny Town. (July 16, 2013)
Tiny Town in North Merrick is made up of small cottages on narrow, circular roads that follow the layout of a Medthodist revival camp meeting site for gatherings held in the area from 1869 to the early 1900s.
Denise Desanto's home on Wesley Avenue in North Merrick is part of an area called Tiny Town, or Campgrounds. The neighborhood arose from Methodist summer revival camp meetings held by the Long Island Camp Meeting Association beginning in 1869.
You've taken a ride through Tiny Town. In the 1860s, a large number of Methodist worshipers from around the state camped annually for 10 days of services in Merrick. Dollhouse-like cottages, like this one on Wesley Avenue, gradually developed around the campground. Today, that neighborhood, called the Campgrounds, is also known as Tiny Town. The cottages have shrunk in number as they have expanded or as new houses have gone up on the old lots. (July 21, 2013)