+-
The Suffolk County Vietnam Veterans Memorial is located (Credit: Carl Corry)

The Suffolk County Vietnam Veterans Memorial is located on the top of Breakneck Hill Overlook in Farmingville. It was constructed in 1971-1972. (July 14, 2011)

Town of Brookhaven

The Town of Brookhaven is the largest town in Suffolk County with a population of 486,040. Within the town there are numerous villages including Stony Brook, Port Jefferson and Patchogue.

Brookhaven Town Hall
(Credit: Newsday / Bill Davis)

Brookhaven Town Hall

Setauket Elementrary School, 134 Main St., East Setauket.
(Credit: Jasmin Frankel)

Setauket Elementrary School, 134 Main St., East Setauket. (April 26, 2011)

The Suffolk County Vietnam Veterans Memorial is located
(Credit: Carl Corry)

The Suffolk County Vietnam Veterans Memorial is located on the top of Breakneck Hill Overlook in Farmingville. It was constructed in 1971-1972. (July 14, 2011)

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISE HERE
The Middle Island Congregational United Church of Christ,
(Credit: Carl Corry)

The Middle Island Congregational United Church of Christ, located at 271 Middle Country Rd., was founded in 1767 as the Presbyterian Church of Middletown. The current building was constructed in 1837 to replace the original 26-square-foot structure. The church features paned arch windows on both sides, a steeple that was added in 1863 and a bell added in 1870. (July 14, 2011)

The Setauket Grist Mill is a replica of
(Credit: Jasmin Frankel)

The Setauket Grist Mill is a replica of the original built in 1937. (April 26, 2011)

Emma S. Clark Memorial Library, 120 Main St.,
(Credit: Jasmin Frankel)

Emma S. Clark Memorial Library, 120 Main St., Setauket (April 26, 2011)

Frank Melville Memorial Park is located in the
(Credit: Jasmin Frankel)

Frank Melville Memorial Park is located in the Old Setauket Historial District and consists of 24 acres of land. (April 26, 2011)

The Setauket Neighborhood House was built in the
(Credit: Jasmin Frankel)

The Setauket Neighborhood House was built in the early 1700s on Setauket Bay. In 1820, it was moved to its present location on Main Street by Dr. John Elderkin. Since 1918, the house became a community service meeting place. (April 26, 2011)

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISE HERE
Setauket Post Office (April 26, 2011)
(Credit: Jasmin Frankel)

Setauket Post Office (April 26, 2011)

The Garden of Heroes is located at the
(Credit: Kaitlynn Mannino)

The Garden of Heroes is located at the Lakeland Fire Department in Ronkonkoma. It is a memorial to Lakeland volunteers who were killed in the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.

Lake Ronkonkoma is a popular fishing area where
(Credit: Kaitlynn Mannino)

Lake Ronkonkoma is a popular fishing area where portions of its basin are 65 feet deep, but most of the lake is less than 15 feet deep. (March 16, 2011)

The Lake Ronkonkoma Historical Society is on Hawkins
(Credit: Kaitlynn Mannino)

The Lake Ronkonkoma Historical Society is on Hawkins Avenue in Lake Ronkonkoma. (March 16, 2011)

The Lake Ronkonkoma Cemetery near the Five Corners
(Credit: Kaitlynn Mannino)

The Lake Ronkonkoma Cemetery near the Five Corners intersection. (March 16, 2011)

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISE HERE
Ralph's Italian Ice and Ralph Rottens Candy Shoppe
(Credit: Kaitlynn Mannino)

Ralph's Italian Ice and Ralph Rottens Candy Shoppe is on Portion Road in Ronkonkoma. (March 16, 2011)

A mural on the side of O'Brien's, a
(Credit: Kaitlynn Mannino)

A mural on the side of O'Brien's, a bar on Johnson Avenue in Ronkonkoma. (March 16, 2011)

Staller Center for the Arts holds many performances
(Credit: Jasmin Frankel)

Staller Center for the Arts holds many performances and is located on the Stony Brook University campus. (March 29, 2011)

Stony Brook Medical Center is the academic medical
(Credit: Jasmin Frankel)

Stony Brook Medical Center is the academic medical center for Stony Brook University. (March 29, 2011)

Stony Brook University campus has been around since
(Credit: Jasmin Frankel)

Stony Brook University campus has been around since 1957. (March 29, 2011)

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISE HERE
Stony Brook Grist Mill has been in operation
(Credit: Jasmin Frankel)

Stony Brook Grist Mill has been in operation since 1751 and was built in 1699 by Adam Smith. (March 29, 2011)

Avalon Park and Preserve in Stony Brook is
(Credit: Jasmin Frankel)

Avalon Park and Preserve in Stony Brook is opened to the public to observe. (March 29, 2011)

Stony Brook Village Center is filled with resturants
(Credit: Jasmin Frankel)

Stony Brook Village Center is filled with resturants and speciality shops. (March 29, 2011)

The Port Jefferson Village Center was once the
(Credit: Jasmin Frankel)

The Port Jefferson Village Center was once the Bayles Shipyard Machine Shop and Mould Loft, built in 1917. The shipyard itself, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was active from 1797 to 1921, but the current buildings, including the center, are associated with shipbuilding from 1897 to 1921. In 1924, the shipyard was purchased by Standard Oil Co., and it was used by its successor, Mobil Oil Co., until 1997, when it was purchased by the Village of Port Jefferson. The current center was opened in 2005 and is run by the Department of Recreation. (March 22, 2011)

The Old Mill Creek was home to a
(Credit: Jasmin Frankel)

The Old Mill Creek was home to a major flour mill from 1858 to 1924. It has been preserved and can be viewed behind Chandler Square shopping area. (March 22, 2011)

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISE HERE
Port Jefferson Village Hall houses the village mayor's
(Credit: Jasmin Frankel)

Port Jefferson Village Hall houses the village mayor's office, the village treasurer and the village code violations court.

Theater Three, on Main Street in Port Jefferson,
(Credit: Jasmin Frankel)

Theater Three, on Main Street in Port Jefferson, hosts such events as plays and cabaret and comedy shows. The 1870 building was originally created for town hall meetings. (March 22, 2011)

A sign welcomes people to the Village of
(Credit: Jasmin Frankel)

A sign welcomes people to the Village of Port Jefferson. (March 22, 2011)

The quiet hamlet of Yaphank on July 12,
(Credit: Carl Corry)

The quiet hamlet of Yaphank on July 12, 2011. The community in Brookhaven Town was settled in 1726. It was a booming mill town in the 1850s, according to historian Karen Mouzakes, and is home to a collection of historic homes, including the Homan-Gerard House and the Robert Hewlett Hawkins House, both on Yaphank Ave., and St. Andrew's Episcopal Church on Main Street. The Carmans River runs along the community.

The Robert Hewlett Hawkins House was built in
(Credit: Carl Corry)

The Robert Hewlett Hawkins House was built in 1850 for a Yaphank native turned New York City businessman who died in 1850 at 38 years old. The house has been restored by the Yaphank Historical Society, which maintains the interior. The exterior is maintained by Suffolk County. The Italianate pegged construction house, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, “was one of the most elegant homes in the area,” according to historian Karen Mouzakes. (July 12, 2011)

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISE HERE

Get The 1600 newsletter, our inside look at the race to the White House.

Comments

Newsday.com now uses Facebook for our comment boards. Please read our guidelines and connect your Facebook account to comment.