Giuliani, Torre pan prostate cancer change

October 11, 2011 by ROBERT BRODSKY / robert.brodsky@newsday.com

Former NY Yankee manager Joe Torre and former

Two of the nation's most high-profile prostate cancer survivors, former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani and ex-Yankees manager Joe Torre, expressed skepticism Tuesday about a federal recommendation that healthy men not be screened for prostate cancer.

A draft recommendation released last week by the United States Preventive Services Task Force suggested that PSA blood tests rarely save lives and put men through unnecessary pain and anxiety.

Torre, who was diagnosed with prostate cancer after a PSA test in 1999, said the positives of early prevention outweigh the negatives. "If one person is diagnosed with cancer because they were not tested, that is too many," Torre said at a luncheon hosted by the Long Island Association, the region's largest business group.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Giuliani, who learned he had prostate cancer in 2000 after a routine PSA test, said, "The report does not make sense."

< back to article