The New York State Office of Emergency Management mentions these safety tips as a thunderstorm approaches:
- Take shelter in a sturdy car or building, never under trees, in a small shed or in a convertible car.
- Stay away from bodies of water and get out of a boat.
- Unplug any unnecessary electrical appliances, and stay off of the phone.
- Do not take a shower or bath during a thunderstorm.
- Turn off your air conditioner to avoid the effects of a possible power surge.
- If flash flooding is possible, get to higher ground.
Copyright © 2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.