Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
Weekend family fun: Circus acts, dragons, ice cream and more
Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? From a circus performance to planting flowers, ice cream, dragons and more, there's so much to do on Long Island. Here are my top five picks for fun, family-friendly activities this weekend:
1. DreamWorks' How To Train Your Dragon Live Spectacular at Nassau Coliseum. This live performance is based on the Academy Award-nominated animated film that features 23 dragons (six of which fly through the arena) and a cast of Viking warriors and acrobats. Catch the show on Friday at 7 p.m., Saturday at 11 a.m., 3 p.m. and 7 p.m.; tickets start at $24.50 but you can find half-price tickets here.
2. Zoppe: An Italian Family Circus at Westhampton Beach Great Lawn (on the corner of Main Street and Potunk Lane, Westhampton). Friday at 3 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday at 3 p.m. and 7 p.m., don't miss the one ring circus starring Nino the clown, acrobats, equestrian showmanship, canine capers, breathtaking stunts and more. Price: Tickets start at $25.
3. Ice Cream Social at Southold Historical Society (Main Road and Maple Lane, P.O. Box 1, Southold). Enjoy ice cream on Saturday from 1-4 p.m., along with children's games, face painting, live music and more. Entrance to the grounds is free, but food and games require tickets.
4. Plant a Flower in the SoFo Butterfly Garden at South Fork History Museum and Nature Center (377 Bridgehampton / Sag Harbor Tpke., Bridgehampton). On Sunday at 10 a.m., children can celebrate the Butterfly Garden's birthday by planting a flower and learn about the plants that attract butterflies. Price: $5 materials fee.
5. The Doodle Bops and Caillou at NYCB Theatre at Westbury (960 Brush Hollow Rd., Westbury). Sing along with The Doodle Bops and then join Caillou, Rosie and their cat Gilbert on a fun adventure at 1:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. on Sunday. Tickets start at $19.50.