Frank Scaturro plans third run at Carolyn McCarthy

Attorney Frank Scaturro announced Monday he will make Attorney Frank Scaturro announced Monday he will make his third attempt to unseat Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-Mineola). (June 25, 2012) Photo Credit: Barry Sloan

advertisement | advertise on newsday

WASHINGTON -- Attorney Frank Scaturro announced Monday he will make his third attempt to unseat Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-Mineola).

Scaturro, 41, of New Hyde Park, said he will seek the Republican and Conservative nominations for next year's election.

"Our district has been without a representative for the longest time," he said. "We really need a fresh new face."

Scaturro lost the Republican primary to County Legis. Francis X. Becker Jr. of Lynbrook in 2010 and 2012.

Last year, he won the Conservative Party nomination, allowing him to face McCarthy and Becker in the general election. McCarthy won with 163,955 votes. Becker finished with 85,982 votes. Scaturro drew 15,603 votes.

Scaturro said he would work for a smaller government and address the crisis of entitlement programs running out of money. He said as a constitutionalist he would be open to compromise, but favors setting caps on the federal budget.

McCarthy's office did not respond to a request for comment.

Scaturro conceded he has feuded over the past two years with GOP leaders, who had pressed him to drop out of the 2012 race, but that he still hopes to win the Republican nomination.

"I actually made a call over to Republican headquarters [in Nassau County] before I made an announcement," he said. "I did not hear back from them."

Comments

Newsday.com now uses Facebook for our comment boards. Please read our guidelines and connect your Facebook account to comment.

You also may be interested in: