City officials said Monday they are partnering with private groups to donate and install 100,000 smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in homes.
They announced the $4 million #GetAlarmedNYC initiative at an FDNY fire station that was the first to respond to a Brooklyn blaze that killed seven children in March.
"The entire city felt sorrow and felt a connection to that family that day," Mayor Bill de Blasio said at Engine 255, Ladder 157 in the Midwood neighborhood. "It was a horrific loss. . . . And it would have been . . . very different, obviously, if there had been a smoke alarm functioning."
The March 21 fire was sparked by a faulty food-warming plate. It left seven siblings between ages 5 and 16 dead. Fire officials said there were no smoke detectors on the first floor, where the blaze began, or the second floor, where the children slept. The family had an alarm in its basement.
De Blasio and Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro said 70 percent of fire-related deaths in the city occur in homes with no working smoke alarm.
Kidde, a fire safety product manufacturer, donated 50,000 detectors, which residents can request by calling 311. The City Council and the nonprofit FDNY Foundation are paying for the other 50,000, and the American Red Cross will install the alarms.
Nigro called the fatal Midwood fire "one of the worst our department has experienced. "