Anas al-Liby, al-Qaida terror suspect, to appear in New York court
Anas al-Liby, the al-Qaida terror suspect snatched by U.S. forces from outside his home in Tripoli on Oct. 5, has been transferred to New York and will appear in court Tuesday, officials said.
Al-Liby was named in a 1998 indictment in federal court in Manhattan as one of the planners of the suicide bomb attacks on American embassies in Tanzania and Kenya. He had been a fugitive, but was captured in a raid last week.
He has been held on a Navy ship for interrogation since then, according to news reports. Last week the federal public defender in New York asked for his immediate transfer to a court, but prosecutors argued he was a military prisoner not entitled to a lawyer as a criminal defendant.
In a statement Monday, U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara said, "Anas al-Liby was transferred to law enforcement custody this weekend and was brought directly to the Southern District of New York, where he has been under indictment for more than a decade. The Government expects that he will be presented before a judicial officer tomorrow."
U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan, who is presiding over the embassy bombing indictment, last week declined to order al-Liby's transfer to the United States. But officials decided to move him anyway after he began refusing food and water, published reports said.