The first Cyclone ride at Coney Island to welcome a new season instead kicked off a rescue when the rollercoaster got stuck.

People walked down staircases on the iconic 88-year-old Coney Island ride on a chilly morning after the wooden roller coaster stopped working just as it inched up to the peak of the ride’s first big drop, according to witnesses.

“That thing was the scariest thing I ever did,” said David Zubin, 24, of Bensonhurst, of walking to safety. “The bricks, walking down, looked like it was going to break when you stepped on it.”

Zubin was in the last car of a ride he says he takes every year.

“I’ve been riding this thing every year—never happened,” he said.

Joseph Saullo, 33, of North Babylon, is one of the riders who were stuck on the Cyclone on the first day of the season in Coney Island on Sunday, March 29, 2015. Photo Credit: Theodore Parisienne

The malfunction occurred shortly before noon after an egg cream christening ceremony and an inaugural ride with elected officials including Borough President Eric Adams. The roller coaster got stuck when it was the public’s turn.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

A spokeswoman for Luna Park, the home of the Cyclone at Coney Island, blamed an “isolated mechanical issue” and said that the ride will be up and running again.

“Safety is the number one priority for our guests at Luna Park,” said spokeswoman Angie Morris. “This was an isolated mechanical issue and it is quickly being repaired.  No one was injured. Those on the ride were safely evacuated and will be able to ride again for free.”

Luna Park reps did not say how many people were on the ride at the time. Riders were left hanging on the roller coaster for about 20 minutes before crews helped them down.

Despite the mechanical problem, the draw of the Cyclone is still too much for some fans to ignore.

From left; Adam Myers, 17, of North Belmore; and Phil Caron, 37, of Conklin, are two of the riders who were stuck on the Cyclone on the first day of the season in Coney Island on Sunday, March 29, 2015. Photo Credit: Theodore Parisienne

Joseph Saullo, a 33-year-old in North Babylon on the roller coaster with a cousin who traveled down from Poughkeepsie, said it won’t keep them away from a Cyclone ride that has been part of a family tradition his grandmother had started.

Get the Newsday Now newsletter!

The best of Newsday every day in your inbox.

“My family had been riders on the Cyclone since 1939,” said Saullo, who got on line for the coaster at 4 a.m. for his third opening day at Coney Island. “Something like this will never keep me away.”

Erik Knapp, 49, from Bensonhurst, who was on the first car, dismissed the hiccup as “no big deal.” Knapp, who estimated that he has taken more than 2,000 rides, said he refused to give up a chance to grab one of the first runs of the Cyclone this season.

“I’m not leaving till I get my ride,” Knapp said. “I waited all winter for this.”