An NYPD detective remained hospitalized Sunday with head injuries after an unarmed robbery suspect was shot to death by police attempting to arrest him in the East Village, officials said.

Another detective who suffered head injuries in the Saturday afternoon shooting of the 22-year-old suspect was treated and released from a hospital, officials said. The names of the officers were not released, police said.

The suspect, who was shot once in the torso by an officer's bullet during "a violent, physical struggle" with the two detectives attempting to make an arrest, NYPD Chief of Department James O'Neill said. The identity of the suspect, who died a short time later at Beth Israel Medical Center, was not released Sunday pending notification of his family.

The detectives had gone to a halfway house at 538 East Sixth St., between avenues A and B to make an arrest and during a scuffle the suspect hit one of the cops with the radio, O'Neill said.

"They're banged up pretty bad in the head," said Deputy Commissioner Steve Davis, the NYPD's chief spokesman.

O'Neill said the incident began around 1:45 p.m., when the detectives knocked at the door of a sixth-floor apartment where they had learned the suspect was staying.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

The suspect fled out a window in the rear of the building, and officers ran down the stairs in pursuit, O'Neill said.

On the first floor, the detectives caught up with the man and attempted to make the arrest, he said.

One of the detectives was hit with the radio with such force that the device shattered, according to Davis.

Parts of the episode -- though not the shooting itself -- were caught on surveillance video, Davis said. The NYPD did not immediately release the recording.

The suspect is black, as is the detective who fired his gun. The other detective is Hispanic, O'Neill said. Both cops have been on the force more than 20 years.

Sgt. Carlos Nieves, a police spokesman, said the alleged robbery occurred Thursday night, when the suspect went to Convent Avenue in upper Manhattan to meet a 21-year-old woman.

He asked the woman to go somewhere with him and when she refused, he stole her purse, containing keys, credit and debit cards, a smartphone and other items, Nieves said.

He said the suspect has a "violent history," but did not provide specifics.