A fourth Brooklyn man charged this week in a plot to aid the Islamic State terror group pleaded not guilty at a hearing in Brooklyn federal court Wednesday.
Dilkhayot Kasimov was accused on Monday in a superseding indictment with helping Abror Habibov raise money to send Akhror Saidakhmetov and Abdurasul Juraboev to Syria to join the militant group.
When Habibov, Saidakhmetov and Juraboev were first charged in February, officials said the men -- all young immigrants from Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan -- were identified through posts on a website discussing terror acts such as killing the president.StoryFeds: NYC man raised money for ISIS plotStory3 NYC men plead not guilty in ISIS plotEditorialEditorial: Arrests are a reminder of danger in our midst
Kasimov, 26, like the other three defendants, was detained without bail after a prosecutor argued that any help for the Islamic State group was dangerous.
"Even the offering of money is extremely serious," said prosecutor Alex Solomon. " . . . That is tantamount to providing money to slaughter innocent victims."
Saidakhmetov was apprehended at Kennedy Airport in February on his way to Turkey, hoping to cross into Syria. His lawyer Wednesday noted that the FBI had been tracking the men for months, and they did little but talk.
"This case is another in a long line of manufactured terrorism cases by the FBI in the wake of Sept. 11," said the lawyer, Adam Perlmutter. " . . . We should focus on real threats, not ones we make up."
Lawyers for the other three men did not comment.