NYPD detectives have turned over some additional evidence in a suspected gang rape of an 18-year-old woman in Brooklyn and expect prosecutors to submit it to a grand jury, officials said.
Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce told reporters Wednesday that “partial evidence” from testing was turned over to Brooklyn District Attorney Kenneth Thompson. Boyce wouldn’t say whether the test results related to a rape kit analysis or DNA.
Five teenagers were arrested last week in connection with the incident on Jan. 7 in Osborn Park in the Brownsville section. The youths, ranging in age from 14 to 17, were charged with rape, sex abuse and other crimes.
Last week, all five teens were released on bond after Thompson was unable to secure an indictment within the five-day period required by law. Thompson said he needed another six months to do what he said had to be done for a thorough investigation.
The fact that Thompson needs more time to investigate the case and the fact that cops have only some test results, prompted defense attorney Spencer Leeds on Wednesday to speculate there is no further evidence to prove that a rape occurred. The five teens maintain that any sex with the woman was consensual. Police have been investigating a defense claim that the woman was in the park drinking and having sex with her father.
When news of the rape allegation first surfaced last week some politicians and community activists criticized the NYPD for not immediately releasing information. Commissioner William Bratton and Mayor Bill de Blasio acknowledged that such information should have been released to the public in more timely fashion.
A spokesman for Thompson would say only that the case was still under investigation.