Sylvia Woods remembered
A funeral service took place at Grace Baptist Church in Mount Vernon to celebrate the life of Sylvia Woods, founder of the soul food restaurant that carries her name. Woods died last week at age 86. She and her husband started Sylvia's Restaurant in 1962. It since has become a must-stop not only for the neighborhood but for tourists and high-profile politicians as well, looking to fill up on fried chicken, cornbread and other Southern staples.
- | View all
Be the first to rate:Click to rate
More in New York City
- Qureshi on the Met roof
- Residents upset over photographs by Svenson
- Contemporary Furniture Fair highlights
- Sotheby's, Christie's and other NYC auctions
- New York City parties
- Free movies in NYC!
- Wolverine made of wax unveiled in NYC
- President Obama visits NYC
- 'Saturday Night Live'
- HV celebs hit the Met Gala 2013
- Citi Bike: NYC's bike share program
- 2013 Five Boro Bike Tour
- Charlie Wassil funeral in Cortlandt Manor
- Joseph Lhota through the years
- Christine Quinn through the years
- Cops: 2 dead in shooting near Hofstra Briarcliffe College Class of 2013 graduates
- Long Island school event photos 33 famous LIers' favorite hometown places
- Dowling College class of 2013 graduates Field of Wheels 2013
- Hometown heroes Annie Park
- LI notable deaths 100 things for kids to do on LI
- President Barack Obama Contemporary Furniture Fair highlights
- 99 places we loved on Long Island New York City parties
- See what 19 LIers won on 'Wheel of Fortune' so far Free movies in NYC!
- Recent LI mug shots Recent LI fires
- LI people on the move! Promotions, new jobs Andrew Cuomo through the years
- The Bench 5K Hot Dog Chow Down
- Your pet photos