Carbon monoxide forces University at Buffalo dorm evacuation

AMHERST, N.Y. -- Four people were treated at a hospital after a dormitory at the University at Buffalo was evacuated for a carbon monoxide leak.

University spokesman Joe Brennan said an equipment malfunction near the boiler room caused the deadly, odorless gas to build up inside the building Sunday evening. Campus police started getting calls around 8:30 p.m. about students feeling nauseated and headachy.

Brennan said two students drove to a hospital and two others were taken to a hospital by ambulance. Two students were evaluated by an ambulance crew at the scene.

Brennan said firefighters shut off the faulty boiler quickly and ventilated the building. Students who had been evacuated to other buildings were allowed to return several hours later.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Newsday on social media

@Newsday

advertisement | advertise on newsday