Report: Some DSK charges may be dropped

advertisement | advertise on newsday

The attorney for the chambermaid who accused Dominique Strauss-Kahn of sexual assault expects prosecutors to drop all or some of the charges, The New York Times reported yesterday.

The attorney, Kenneth Thompson, told the Times he came to that conclusion after reading a letter a prosecutor sent to him offering to meet Monday with the chambermaid, Nafissatou Diallo of the Bronx, the day before the case is due back in court.

"If they were not going to dismiss the charges," Thompson told the Times Saturday, "there would be no need to meet with her. They would just go to court the next day to say, 'We're going to proceed with the case.' "

The encounter between Diallo and Strauss-Kahn occurred in May at the Sofitel hotel in Manhattan. His attorneys have indicated that the encounter was consensual.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Prosecutors at first said the case was strong and that Diallo was credible. But the case began to crumble in June as authorities uncovered facts about Diallo that undermined her credibility, including that she'd previously fabricated a rape and that she allegedly boasted about the former IMF chief's wealth in a secretly recorded phone call with a jailed man.

Erin Duggan, the top spokeswoman for Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr., declined to comment, as did a Strauss-Kahn lawyer, Benjamin Brafman. Thompson didn't return calls for comment.

You also may be interested in: