The new Museum of Mathematics opens in Manhattan
On Saturday morning, Glen Whitney of St. James expects to feel like Willy Wonka on the day the fictional candy-maker opened the doors of his chocolate factory for the first time to a group of gobsmacked children in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory."
Whitney is scheduled to throw open the doors to his long-awaited Museum of Mathematics in Manhattan, welcoming children to be just as astonished by more than 30 interactive exhibits over two floors at 11 E. 26th St. in midtown.
The target age for the museum is fourth through eighth grades, though the exhibits have more advanced explanations for older visitors. School classes can also take field trips to the museum; interested teachers should write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are five of the exhibits visitors will experience on a visit to the museum. --Beth Whitehouse
- | View all
Be the first to rate:Click to rate
More in News
- Most deadly U.S. tornadoes
- New York City parties
- LI notable deaths
- President Barack Obama
- Notable sports deaths in 2013
- Tornadoes hit Texas
- Yoga for men in Riverhead: Broga
- Stabbing death of Leila Fowler
- NASA astronauts plug leak during rare spacewalk
- 'Saturday Night Live'
- Chris Christie
- Ohio kidnapping and rape case
- Dropping LBs: LIers before and after weight-loss stories
- NRA holds 2013 convention in Houston
- Remembering the first African-American Marines
- Fires around the U.S.
- Celebrity vegetarians and vegans
- Celebs tweet about Knox decision
- Trayvon Martin case
- Part found near WTC allegedly from 9/11 hijacked jet
- Utah snake collector Thomas Cobb
- Nassau County Community College class of 2013 graduates New York City parties
- LI sites on the National Register of Historic Places LI notable deaths
- LI people on the move! Promotions, new jobs NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg through the years
- Andrew Cuomo through the years President Barack Obama
- See what 19 LIers won on 'Wheel of Fortune' so far 37 famous LIers' favorite hometown places
- Molloy College Class of 2013 graduates College graduations on Long Island 2013
- NYIT graduation 2013 SUNY College at Old Westbury graduation
- Farmingdale State College graduation Wake held for Hofstra's Andrea Rebello
- Suffolk County Community College graduation Hofstra University graduation 2013
- Adelphi graduation 2013 U.S. Army generals from LI
- Briarcliffe College Class of 2013 graduates Long Island school event photos
- Dowling College class of 2013 graduates Field of Wheels 2013