KABUL, Afghanistan -- A car bomb outside a compound housing a U.S. military contractor in the Afghan capital killed at least two Afghan workers Monday and wounded more than a dozen other people, company representatives and police said.
Elsewhere in the country, a land mine left from the time of the Soviet invasion killed nine young girls, police said.
The blast on the outskirts of Kabul shook windows more than a mile away in the city center.
The security officer for Contrack, a McLean, Va.-based company that builds facilities for military bases, said a suicide attacker drove a vehicle packed with explosives up to the exterior wall of the compound and detonated the bomb.
Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid claimed responsibility for the attack, saying in an email to reporters that it was a suicide car bomber who targeted the compound because it was a company working with the government.
Two of the company's Afghan employees were killed and at least 15 were wounded, said deputy Interior Ministry spokesman Najibullah Danish.
Contrack security officer Baryalai, who like many Afghans goes by only one name, said at the site that injured employees included Americans, Afghans and South Africans. An American official of the company was seriously wounded, he said.
An Associated Press reporter at the scene saw large sections of exterior wall blown apart and a collapsed roof on a building inside. Twisted metal from shipping containers that had been ripped open by the explosion littered the ground.