STAMFORD - Approximately 20 people are displaced after a fire tore through their home in Stamford, according to officials.

The fire sparked just after 12:30 a.m. Saturday at an apartment building on West Main Street.

News 12 is told one firefighter received minor injuries, but no one else was hurt.

George Bright, of Stamford, says his son and daughter alerted him to a fire in their bedroom on the second floor of the complex. He says an extension cord in his son’s room sparked the initial flames.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Families spent the day attempting to salvage any belongings they could from the building’s charred remains.

The five displaced families told News 12 that they will be staying at hotels or have made plans with family members until further notice.