Officials: Candle to blame in Mount Vernon fire

An unattended candle left burning by a Mount Vernon woman Saturday caused her seventh-floor apartment to catch on fire, according to fire officials. The tenant says she dialed 911 after she saw that her closet had ignited. Crews responded just after 10 a.m. at 240 S. Seventh Ave. and contained the flames to her bedroom. Elevators and electricity had to be shut off on two floors, affecting 14 families who live in the building. There were no reported injuries. (March 23, 2013)

Comments

Newsday.com now uses Facebook for our comment boards. Please read our guidelines and connect your Facebook account to comment.