Newtown, Conn. plans burials as school's future debated
NEWTOWN, Conn. - A grieving Connecticut town is bracing itself for the first funerals for victims of the school shooting last week that left 20 children and six adults dead.
Officials in Newtown are also debating when classes could resume - and where, given the carnage in the building and the children's associations with it.
State police Lt. Paul Vance said at a news conference today that it could be months before police turn the school back over to the district.
The funerals come a day after President Barack Obama pledged to seek change in memory of the victims.
Obama offered few specifics during his remarks at a vigil Sunday night. He says he will engage with law enforcement, mental health professionals, parents and educators in the coming weeks.
Friday's shooting, which left 20 children and eight adults dead, appears to have spurred some soul-searching by Obama. He told Connecticut's governor that Friday was the most difficult day of his presidency.
Obama says he has been reflecting on whether the country is doing enough to give its children "the chance they deserve to live out their lives in happiness."
EXPANDED COVERAGE: News 12 New Jersey's Coverage
The district is considering sending surviving students to a former school building in a neighboring town.
The gunman was 20-year-old Adam Lanza. Authorities said Sunday he was carrying hundreds of rounds of especially deadly ammunition, enough to kill just about every student in the school if given time.
His motive remains unclear. He killed his mother before heading to the school and committed suicide as police closed in.
AP wire services contributed to this report.