Sentencing for the four boys found guilty last month of raping a 13-year-old Ramapo girl and sexually assaulting her 12-year-old sister was postponed Friday to allow time for psychiatric evaluations to be completed.

The boys, a 12-year-old and three 13-year-olds, were convicted in September on felony charges of attempted rape, sex abuse, criminal sex act and criminal sexual conduct. One of the 13-year-old boys was also convicted of first-degree rape.

When the Chestnut Ridge Middle School students return to Rockland County Family Court next -- two are scheduled to appear on Oct. 26 and two on Nov. 2 -- they could be placed in a juvenile detention facility until their 18th birthdays.

During Friday's proceedings, prosecutors asked the judge to immediately place the boys in a juvenile detention facility. Probation reports show that the boys have not shown remorse since their conviction on Sept. 7, prosecutors argued.

While calling the reports "very disturbing," Judge Sherri Eisenpress turned down the request.

"The statements of two of the boys are indicative of a real inability to take responsibility for their actions," Eisenpress said. "But they have completed to date with all orders of the court."

advertisement | advertise on newsday

No further details about the probation reports were released in court.

The case has attracted widespread media attention because of the severity of the charges and because the victims are so young. The victims are now 13 and 14.

The attacks took place multiple times between June 11 and 13 inside the girls' home while they were alone in the house. A third sister, age 11, was home at the time but was not assaulted, according to police.

At the courthouse Friday, dozens of members of the boys' families turned out in support. Some were refused entry to the courtroom because it was already at capacity.

The victims' family were not present.

Eisenpress allowed the boys, who sat stone-faced behind their attorneys all throughout Friday's proceedings, to remain under house arrest and to attend school two hours per day. Orders of protection banning them from contacting the victims or any of their friends who had testified in the trial also remained in effect.