Ask the Expert: Helping son, not his wife

+ -

A "separate property" down payment belongs to one spouse, even if both spouses own the house jointly. Photo Credit: iStock

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Lynn Brenner Lynn Brenner

Brenner answers questions about all aspects of family finance.

My son wants us to give him a down payment to buy his first home. I worry that he and his wife don't have the best relationship. Is there any way I could give them the money, but tactfully request it back if they break up?


There's only one way to do that. Make them a loan instead of a gift.

Ask your son and daughter-in-law to both sign an "on-demand" promissory note, says Eric Kramer, a Uniondale estate lawyer.

"On-demand" means you can ask them to repay it anytime you want. The potential wrinkle is that if their down payment is a loan, your son and daughter-in-law might find it harder to get a mortgage. Banks sometimes ask borrowers who didn't earn their down payment to sign a statement saying it's a gift, not a loan. (In case you're wondering, says Kramer, your son and daughter-in-law couldn't legally transform a loan into a gift by signing such a statement.)

Alternatively, you could make the gift to your son alone, says Sharon Kovacs Gruer, a Great Neck estate lawyer. Under New York's marital law, if the gift is his "separate property," your daughter-in-law can't claim it in the event of a divorce. To keep it as separate property, he must put it in a bank account in his sole name until he uses it as a down payment. If he commingles it with other money -- putting it into the same account as his paychecks, for example -- your gift becomes a marital asset that's subject to division in a divorce. But if it's his separate property, your son is legally entitled to keep it, even if he gets a divorce.

The bottom line A "separate property" down payment belongs to one spouse, even if both spouses own the house jointly.

Websites with more information

advertisement | advertise on newsday and

Promo text

Comments now uses Facebook for our comment boards. Please read our guidelines and connect your Facebook account to comment.

You also may be interested in: