3. In 2003, the Yankees won all six games for the only Subway Series sweep.
4. From 1997-98, the two teams played three times each season. The six-game home-and-away format did not begin until 1999.
5. On July 8, 2000, the Mets and Yankees played the ultimate split doubleheader with a day game at Shea and a night game at Yankee Stadium. The Yankees won both by 4-2 scores.
Most popular baseball stories
7. Mariano Rivera earned his 500th save against the Mets on June 28, 2009, at Citi Field. Rivera batted against Mets closer Francisco Rodriguez and walked with the bases loaded to tie the score and give Mo his only career RBI.
8. On June 27, 2008, Carlos Delgado drove in nine runs in the first game of a doubleheader at Yankee Stadium. In doing so, he set the record for most RBIs in one game for the Mets, breaking Dave Kingman’s record of eight set in 1976.
9. The Yankees and Mets finished in first place in their respective divisions in the same season only once — 2006 — when both teams were 97-65.
10. The biggest blowout in a game was a 15-0 Yankee victory on June 14, 2009, at the Stadium.
11. A total of 111 players have played for both teams. Pedro Feliciano would become the 112th if/when he throws his first pitch for the Yankees.
12. Prior to the 2000 World Series, the last Subway Series in New York was Yankees vs. Dodgers in 1956. It cost only 15 cents to ride the subway between Ebbets Field and Yankee Stadium then. In 2000, the price to ride the 4 and 7 trains was $1.50.
13. When the Mets defeated the Yankees in Game 3 of the 2000 World Series, they ended the Yankees’ streak of 14 World Series wins. The streak began when the Yankees won Game 3 of the 1996 Series against Atlanta.
14. Derek Jeter won the All-Star Game and World Series MVP awards in 2000, becoming the first player to win both awards in the same year.
17. Long before their Subway Series matchups, the Mets and Yankees played an annual exhibition dubbed the Mayor’s Trophy Game. That series ran from 1963-79 and 1982-83. The Yankees held a 10-8-1 advantage.
18. Prior to this weekend, the Yankees were 17-16 at Shea Stadium in regular-season games against the Mets and 4-2 at Citi Field. The Mets were 13-20 at the old Yankee Stadium and 2-4 at the new ballpark.
19. Derek Jeter has the most hits of any player in the Subway Series with 117 heading into this series. Some of those hits were career milestone: his 900th and 1,300th hits came off Al Leiter.
20. The Yankees are 47-33 against the Mets in Subway Series games. In the 14 series to date, the Yankees hold a 6-2-6 advantage.