Joe Torre has no interest in Red Sox job

October 11, 2011 by NICK KLOPSIS. Special to Newsday

Former NY Yankee manager Joe Torre and former

Yankees fans can breathe easily. Their former leader won't be managing the Red Sox -- or any other team -- anytime in the near future.

Joe Torre said he has not been contacted by the Red Sox and is not interested in their managerial opening, quashing any speculation that he would come back to take Terry Francona's old job.

"I really don't anticipate managing anymore," Torre said Tuesday at a luncheon hosted by the Long Island Association in Woodbury.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Torre, who serves as executive vice president of baseball operations for Major League Baseball, said the daily rigors of managing might be too much to handle at this point.

"I was fortunate enough to get this job with Major League Baseball," he said. "I'm enjoying it. It's a lot of work, but the stress level isn't what it is when you manage."

Torre led the Yankees from 1996-2007, guiding them to 12 consecutive postseason appearances, including four world championships and six pennants. He left in 2007 after he rejected a one-year contract offer for a smaller base salary than he had been making. He recently came back into the team's fold, making his first appearance at Old-Timers' Day this past season.

Rumors of a possible Torre return to the bench began circulating almost immediately after Francona and the Red Sox parted ways after eight seasons on Sept. 30. The Red Sox did not renew his contract after the team blew a nine-game lead in the wild-card race and missed the playoffs.

Torre's last managerial stint was with the Dodgers in 2010. Frank Chance, Joe McCarthy, Bucky Harris and Ralph Houk are the former Yankees skippers who subsequently managed the Red Sox.

"I'm 71 years old," Torre said. "I don't want to put my wife through this stuff anymore."

< back to article